About the course
Blood transfusion is a complex procedure inter-linking many multidisciplinary health care team members.
Blood transfusions save lives and improve health. An error in transfusion can be fatal. Transfusion error where the patient receiving the incorrect blood component, remains the largest risk related to blood transfusions. Nurses who are responsible for the bedside check before a transfusion is given, have the final opportunity to prevent a mismatch.
An understanding of blood products, possible transfusion reactions, management and evidence based monitoring of transfusions are also essential to safely perform this procedure.
This systematic online interactive course helps to improve the knowledge of health professionals regarding blood transfusions so that they can perform safe transfusions and maintain good quality care.
- Identify purpose, indications and risks factors for blood transfusion.
- Understand blood products such as whole blood, RBCs, platelets, clotting factors, plasma, packed red cells, cryoprecipitate, serum albumin and sources.
- Recognise various blood types and ABO system.
- Describe testing after donation.
- Demonstrate steps in blood administration.
- Memorise 30 minutes and 4 hour rules.
- Identify transfusion reaction.
2 Hours (Self-Paced)
Student Handbook - Part 01 Student Handbook - Part 02
Part 01-Blood Products and Transfusion Part 02-Blood Products and Transfusion Blood transfusion Part 03-Blood Products and Transfusion Part 04-Blood Products and Transfusion Administering a Blood Transfusion Part 05-Blood Products and Transfusion Transfusion reaction Part 06-Blood Products and Transfusion
Progress Toward Strengthening National Blood Transfusion Services Blood transfusion: patient identification and empowerment Evaluating the Frequency of Vital Sign Monitoring During Blood Transfusion
How did we do?