About the course
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder related to inadequate production of insulin or insulin insensitivity of cells. It is the leading cause of adult blindness, end-stage renal disease and non traumatic lower limb amputations.Type 1 diabetes is commonly found with children and young adults, whereas Type 2 diabetes is more commonly found within the age group of 40 to 59 years.
The increasing burden of diabetes mellitus is alarming; much of the burden of this major public health problem can be prevented by early detection, improved delivery of care, and better education on diabetes self-management. As diabetes and associated conditions continue to increase the burden of care on the healthcare system, it is important that a diabetes Nurse Educator be involved in the care of the patient and the family because patient teaching and education is an essential nursing function when caring for clients with diabetes.
The core intention of the course is to provide specific knowledge on diabetes for nurses providing quality care to clients with diabetes and supporting family members and carers.
- Define type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes including its features.
- Determine diabetes risk factors.
- Identify the stages of insulin synthesis.
- List the clinical manifestations of diabetes mellitus.
- Explain the pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus.
- Recognise how insulin works within the human body.
- Explain impaired CHO, fat and protein metabolism.
- Identify the appropriate assessment, diagnostic findings, symptoms and management of diabetes mellitus.
- Understand the different medications used for the management of diabetes mellitus.
- List the current advances and problems with insulin therapy.
- Determine the acute and chronic complications of diabetes mellitus including the clinical signs and symptoms, and their management.
2 Hours (Self-Paced)
GNLA-SHO_Diabetes Management_Part 01 FREE PREVIEW Student Handbook - Part 02 FREE PREVIEW Student Handbook - Part 03 FREE PREVIEW
Diabetes Management - Part 01 FREE PREVIEW What is Diabetes? FREE PREVIEW Diabetes Management - Part 02 FREE PREVIEW Daibetes Pathophysiology - 3D Medical Animation FREE PREVIEW Diabetes Management - Part 03 FREE PREVIEW How Insulin Works FREE PREVIEW Diabetes Management - Part 04 FREE PREVIEW Diabetes Management - Part 05 FREE PREVIEW Hypoglycaemia FREE PREVIEW Diabetes Management - Part 06 FREE PREVIEW
The initial impact of a diabetes diagnosis on mental health in young people and families FREE PREVIEW Insulin glargine 300 units/mL: A new basal insulin product for diabetes mellitus FREE PREVIEW Regular Insulin Administered With the V-Go Disposable Insulin Delivery Device in a Clinical Diabetes Setting FREE PREVIEW Diabetes Management and Future Trends FREE PREVIEW
How did we do? FREE PREVIEW
Very informativeRead Less